Thursday, April 14, 2011

Happy Poem in Your Pocket Day!

I LOVE National Poetry Month, yet this day is one that I knew nothing about until I joined Twitter and connected with my ever-brilliant group of librarians, teachers, and children's lit experts.

Poem In Your Pocket Day is a day where you, quite simply, carry a poem in your pocket all day. I think it would be fun to randomly pull the poem out and read it to people, say standing in grocery line or sitting in a waiting room! I also think since the poem is, in fact, in your pocket, it should be rather short.

That brings me to my Poem In Your Pocket Day offering, courtesy of one of my heroes, Dorothy Parker:


A Very Short Song

Once, when I was young and true,
Someone left me sad-
Broke my brittle heart in two;
And that is very bad.

Love is for unlucky folk,
Love is but a curse.
Once there was a heart I broke;
And that, I think, is worse.


A breath of fresh air and just the right size to fit into your pocket :-)

However, if you don't have your own favorite poem to put into your pocket, here are some great resources to help you find one:


image via Amazon


You can actually tear the pages of poetry from this book to store in your pocket! Perfect for those days when you just need a poem in your pocket.








image via Amazon



This is a great introductory book of poetry for those middle schoolers that really need something that is going to resonate and be relevant.














image via Google

And, as always, Teen Ink is a great place to get inspiration and get your teens published.





Enjoy Poem in Your Pocket Day, and the rest of National Poetry Month, by finding a new favorite poem today!

No comments:

Post a Comment